I’ve had a lot of readers tell me they wanted a recipe for a oopsie-roll danish, so here we are! Fluffy oopsie batter, creamy cheese cake filling, toasted pecans and baked cinnamon yellow squash!
Yep, you read correctly. Yellow squash. In fact, you could use zucchini as well!
A neighbor of mine was giving away of a bag of fresh, home-grown squash today! How could I pass that up? I have actually been wanting to try this recipe for some time now, I just didn’t know exactly how I wanted to make it. One cup of summer squash has about 3 carbs…compared to apples at 13 carbs per cup!
I am so in love with this recipe! What a great way to sneak in veggies to a dessert! You really can’t even tell that it’s not apple!
I played around with adding whey protein to the oopsie batter as well. It made them a bit more sturdy to be able to hold the filling. But, if you don’t have whey powder and don’t intend on buying any…you can use my original Oopsie Roll Recipe and just add a little sweetener instead of salt!
Carb Count=Less than 3 carbs per danish
“Apple” Filling Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups summer squash, seeds removed, small dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I prefer Swerve!)
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional garnish)
- In a medium frying pan on medium-high heat, melt butter. Once melted, add squash. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until it is all combined.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring slowly.
- Scoop into a bowl and reserve.
Cheesecake Filling Ingredients
- 8 oz. room temp Cream Cheese (1 boxed package)
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener (Like Swerve!)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Place cream cheese, sweetener and egg in a stand mixer (or a bowl with a hand mixer works too!)
- With paddle attachment, beat until all ingredients are well combined.
- Scrape into a bowl and reserve in refrigerator.
Danish Batter Ingredients
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon granulated sweetener (yes, we all know I love Swerve!)
- 3 oz. Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Zero Carb Whey Protein (I use Vanilla flavored)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat OR parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- Separate the eggs, making sure no yolk gets into the whites and placing the whites in a clean, non-greasy bowl.
- Using a clean, non-greasy electric whisk, whip the egg whites and the cream of tartar until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yolks, sour cream, whey and sweetener until smooth.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the sour cream mixture.
- Spoon 6 large mounds of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Gently press with a spoon on the top of each mound to make a well for your fillings.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of cheesecake mixture in each well.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of “apple” mixture over the cheesecake batter.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts and a dusting of extra cinnamon.
- Bake 20-3oish minutes, until golden-brown.
- Cool a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet, then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store leftovers in a slightly open Ziploc bag in the fridge for a couple of days