I have been trying my hardest to work in more green veggies into our diets. When low-carbing it’s easy to fall into a delicious pit of bacon and cheese and just push your greens to the back burner. Salads have always been pretty blah to me and a plate of steamed broccoli is just not appetizing.
So after tinkering a bit, I finally came up with these savory broccoli and cheese waffles. They are crispy, cheesy and full of flavor! Especially when topped with a few poached eggs or a smear of flavored cream cheese! Here in Germany there is a brand that makes a whipped mushroom cream cheese. So good!
Making these waffles are super simple! Basically just mix everything together and get to it! You just need 2 key kitchen tools, a waffle maker and a food processor. With less than 2 carbs each, this is a great recipe to get in some healthy veggies!
Savory Broccoli & Cheese Waffles
- 1 head of fresh broccoli (you will only need 1 cup processed)
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Spice (I like garlic & herb)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chives
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Chop broccoli into small florets and process in a food processor (you can use the stalk too!) until it resembles small granules. *You will have more than enough for one batch
- Measure 1 cup of broccoli with cheeses, eggs, spices and herbs and mix in a bowl until combined.
- Heat your waffle iron to a medium-high heat and spray it generously with oil.
- Portion out 1/3 of mixture onto waffle iron, press out (the mixture is not liquidy at all) and cook. All waffle irons will vary on cook time. Mine took about 2.5 minutes to be done, but I also have a thinner waffle iron.
- Cover finished waffles with aluminum foil to keep warm while you finish cooking the rest!
- Top with poached or fried eggs, cream cheese, smoked salmon or even use them as bread for a sandwich!