Living in our house you have to love spicy foods. I totally do, but not as much as my husband. Everything is doused in hot sauce! This recipe has been adapted from my gluten-free chocolate cake that I make for my day job! Normally it’s still jam-packed with carbs, even for being gluten-free. So I changed it up a bit using ChocoPerfection for my chocolate and Swerve for sugar!
These cupcakes have about 3 net carbs per cupcake! They are sweet, spicy and super rich! I love how the whipped cream frosting balances out the heat!
I can’t say enough good things about ChocoPerfection! It’s sweetened with chicory root fiber, so it’s sweet & healthy! The best part is it actually tastes like chocolate without the gastric discomfort of pretty much every sugar-free chocolate on the market!
Low-Carb Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 4 ounces chopped Dark ChocoPerfection
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of Swerve
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of almond meal
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup Sweve
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners.
- Melt the Dark ChocoPerfection chunks and the butter over medium heat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk, mix together the eggs & Swerve for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the melted Dark ChocoPerfection.
- Stir in the almond meal, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne, chipotle, salt, and vanilla with a spatula until combined.
- Evenly divide batter into 12 cupcake liners, they should be about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Cupcakes should spring back when lightly pressed down.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
To make Icing:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk; combine heavy cream, Swerve and vanilla. Whip the cream on low speed, then slowly increase the speed as it thickens.
- With either a butter knife or a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, decorate each cupcake with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chopped Dark ChocoPerfection & a sprinkle of cinnamon.