After moving out of my parents home at age 18, my first job was a baker at an Einstein Bros. Bagels. At this point in time we were still using the old food pyramid…which states a healthy diet should consist of a whopping 6-11 servings of bread & grain a day. So naturally, my brain said “bagels are healthy!”
I gained 40 pounds the one year I worked there. It was terrible, but I really had no idea how to eat healthy as a teenager. One of the items I used to make there were bagel dogs and they were delicious! Basically, it was a kosher dog wrapped in bagel dough and the rolled around in seeds, spices and cheese.
Normally, I am not a hot dog fan at all. But these make me so happy! With about 6 net carbs, they are also great for keto and low carb dieting!
I used kosher dogs for this recipe. Hebrew National, to be exact. They were the only ones I could find at my grocery without high-fructose corn syrup! I don’t need any of that in my life!
If you are not a fan of everything bagels, just roll these around in your favorite seed. Or, sprinkle a little asiago cheese on top!
The dough is actually pretty simple to make, it’s based of everyone’s favorite Fat Head Pizza Crust. I added xanthan gum just to help the almond meal from having a crumbly texture after being baked. It seems a bit expensive at the grocery store but it’s well worth it. You use such a tiny amount and it goes a long way in gluten-free baking.
- 4 kosher hot dogs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ¾ cup almond meal/flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 2 eggs (one for dough, one for egg wash)
Everything Spice Mix:
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pretzel salt or other coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Place mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium sized microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 1.5 minutes. Stir to combine everything. Make sure all the cheese is melted.
- In a separate bowl, add almond meal, 1 egg and xanthan gum. Mix until combined.
- Add the hot cheese to the almond mixture and work the to into each other. Using a rubber spatula works, or wetting your hands and kneading it in the bowl. Mix until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Portion dough into 4 balls and on a silpat or parchment paper, gently roll each one out to about 15″ log. Having wet hands will help from sticking to you!
- Wrap one piece of dough around each hot dog.
- Beat remaining egg in a small bowl to make your egg wash. Brush onto each dog.
- Mix all of the Everything Bagel Spices into a medium bowl and dip each dog into it, covering the dough completely.
- Place dogs on lined sheet pan and bake for about 20 minutes, the dough should be slightly golden.