I have been craving junk food something fierce this week! First, keto fried chicken and now french fries!
When I lived in Richmond, Virginia there was a restaurant I lived across the street from called Sticky Rice. They had these amazing little fried tofu triangles with soy dipping sauce, I always had to order some when I was there. So I figured, why not cut them into french fries? A package of tofu has about 8-10 carbs, compared to a medium-sized portion at McDonald’s at a whopping 50 carbs!
If you are missing french fries but don’t want to ruin your low carb diet, these are for you! They are crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Your fast food craving will totally be satisfied, especially with a bunless burger to pair with!
So the trick to these fries it making sure your tofu is nice and dry. By slicing the tofu and letting it rest on paper towels it draws out all the excess moisture. Also, you want to find the firmest tofu you can. The soft stuff will just break apart when you are trying to cut it.
I’ve also paired these with a roasted garlic aioli! Roasted garlic is so delicious, and so super simple to make!
Low Carb Tofu Fries
- 1-18 oz. package of firm to extra firm tofu
- oil for frying
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley, for garnish
- Remove tofu from package. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Blot dry with paper towel. Slice lengthwise again into 1/2″ strips.
- Gently lay tofu strips onto a double layer of paper towels, add another double layer of paper towels on top and lightly press down. Let them rest for about 5 minutes.
- Season tofu with salt and pepper.
- In large pot or fryer, heat about about 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees.
- Working in small batches, Lay tofu strips into hot oil. *try not to let the fries touch, the might stick together.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and blot on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Garnish with chopped parsley & serve with your roasted garlic aioli or your favorite dip!
Roasted Garlic & Herb Aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store bought
- 3 tablespoons roasted garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Place mayo, garlic and herbs in a food processor.
- Blend until fully combined, about 30 seconds.