Pizza may just be the bane of my existence….and ice cream, lots of ice cream. I don’t know what sort of witchcraft that the Italians used to make this the most perfect food on the face of the planet, but I would sell my soul for a slice of good pizza. Well, that might be pushing it a little. Then again, probably not.
I have been tinkering with different recipes for low carb/paleo/grain-free pizza crusts. Normally, I go for either my Flax Foccaccia or Broccoli & Basil Crust. I worry about the flax, because it has been known to cause stalling in low carb weight loss and the broccoli crust is impossible to pick up.
So now I am trying a crust made from just cream cheese and egg. To my surprise, it is actually easy to pick up! Each batch has about 16 carbs total and you get 2-4 servings. Normally, I split the batter into 2 oblong-shaped thin crusts–one for me and one for the hubby. This serving size really fills me up. So in the end one serving had about 8 carbs.
It’s very important to beat the cream cheese first, and then add one egg at a time and scrap the bowl in between each step. You don’t want big chunks of cream cheese in the crust. After you mix everything, you will see a few little chunks, that’s just fine.
I spread mine pretty thin, as you can see in the pictures. You don’t have to make two separate crusts if you don’t want to. I just like having personal sized ones for me and my husband to top them as we see fit!
After the crusts come out of the oven and cool, I run an off-set spatula under them to free them from the silpat and then top with whatever topping I want. Today I went with homemade pesto, ground sausage, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and a little lemon zest. Of course, after it was all baked I threw some chopped fresh herbs on top!
Low Carb Thin Crust Pizza
- 1 eight oz. package of Cream Cheese, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated hard cheese (Parmesan, Romano, Manchego, ect)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- With a hand/stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until soft. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add cheese, garlic powder and black pepper. Mix until combined.
- Add one egg at a time, scraping down the bowl in between.
- Spread batter into a silpat-lined baking sheet in desired shape.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Run a spatula underneath the crusts to remove from silpat, leave crusts on silpat.
- Add desired toppings and place back in oven for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the toppings are heated through.
Other great ideas for low-carb toppings!
Meats: pepperoni, roast beef, ham, chicken, bacon, turkey, ground beef, prosciutto, shrimp, crab.
Veggies: sun-dried tomato, caramelized onion, roasted garlic, avocado, artichoke hearts, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, arugula, fresh spinach, roasted eggplant.
Sauces: Paleo BBQ Sauce, alfredo, classic marinara.