Cruciferous (cabbage family) veggies are something I am really trying to work into my diet. For a very long time, meaning about 20 years of my life, my motto was “Real kids don’t eat broccoli.” And yes, for all you 30-somethings, I did just make a Tiny Toons reference. What?
But alas, I am no longer a kid with a kids metabolism. Time to eat my veggies.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes out in blog world about cauliflower pizza crusts and “bread” sticks. They are still on my to-make list, but I got a message from a friend with this recipe and had to try it out. Surprisingly, these were pretty delicious! They taste like fresh basil and garlic with a little crispiness.
After pulling these out of the oven, I ate the whole pan. I guess it’s not too bad of a dinner 🙂 I mean, it’s basically a whole head of broccoli and two eggs.
Broccoli & Basil Sticks
makes 12-15 sticks or one pizza crust
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 whole eggs
- handful of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons water
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Have a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet ready to place sticks on.
- Chop the broccoli into chunks. I used most of the stem as well. You will get about 4 cups.
- Add the chopped broccoli to a food processor and pulse until the texture is similar to rice.
- Add in basil. Pulse till combined.
- In a bowl place your pulsed broccoli mixture with your eggs and water. And stir.
- Spread dough out evenly over baking sheet– can make as thick or thin as you like.
- Season the dough with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Slice into strips and enjoy with some hot marinara!